Aurora Cannabis Inc. has entered into an agreement to invest $10 million by way of brokered private placement in High Tide Inc., a privately held, Alberta-based, retail-focused cannabis and lifestyle accessories company. In total, Aurora will receive 10,000 senior unsecured convertible debentures issued by High Tide priced at $1,000 per debenture, bearing an interest rate of 8.5% per annum, and convertible in aggregate to 13,333,333 common shares of High Tide at $0.75 per share.
High Tide is developing an expanding network across Canada of cannabis and cannabis accessory retail stores, as well as manufacturing and distributing branded cannabis accessories which positions it exceptionally well to capitalize on the Canadian adult-use cannabis industry. Through its two wholesale businesses, Famous Brandz and RGR Canada, and the 19 existing Smoker’s Corner retail locations, High Tide serves more than 170,000 retail customers per year. Through Canna Cabana and eventually KushBar, High Tide currently operates 4 retail stores in Alberta, with additional leases secured with the intention of opening new locations across Canada in the near future.
“In addition to four operational cannabis retail stores, High Tide has developed a broad network of smoking accessories and cannabis lifestyle stores that feature unique products, supported by strong branding that has resonated well with Canadian consumers,” said Terry Booth, CEO of Aurora. “Through our investment, we gain exposure to two unique retail store concepts currently launching across Canada, as well as established cannabis culture brands and thousands of proprietary accessories. We look forward to working with the team at High Tide and supporting them as they execute on their aggressive growth strategy.”
Raj Grover, President & Chief Executive Officer of High Tide added, “We’re thrilled to gain the support and backing of Aurora as we continue to rapidly execute on a significant number of growth initiatives across Western Canada. Our wholesale and retail segments are performing strongly in the post-legalization environment, especially with our new cannabis retail stores providing a significant amount of momentum. Furthermore, we are well positioned to pursue additional opportunities in Ontario’s upcoming retail market. With a strong portfolio of branded products and retail stores, we’re quickly becoming one of Canada’s largest retailers of cannabis products and lifestyle accessories.”
High Tide’s vertically-integrated portfolio of businesses includes:
- An approachable, playful and sophisticated network of retail cannabis stores currently being opened across Canada.
- 4 stores currently open and performing strongly in Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge and Whitecourt.
- In Alberta, the maximum of 37 retail locations has been targeted with substantially all leases, permits and licenses secured to date.
- Also seeking to establish the maximum of 8 retail cannabis stores in in British Columbia as well as the maximum of 75 retail cannabis stores in Ontario.
- A complementary retail concept that provides consumers with elevated experiences featuring proprietary products, excellent customer service and modern décor.
- Strategically targeting store locations in Alberta and Ontario.
- High Tide owns 50.1% of KushBar Inc.
- An innovative designer, manufacturer and distributor of cannabis accessories.
- High quality, low cost and global manufacturing network in place.
- Extensive product catalog which contains more than 4,200 unique SKUs, of which over 3,000 are designed by and proprietary to High Tide.
- Premier manufacturer and distributor of licensed, branded smoking products through partnerships with celebrity and entertainment brands like Snoop Dogg, Guns N’ Roses and Paramount Pictures.
- Distribution agreements covering Canada, the United States and Europe; licensing agreements with unlimited global access.
- Canada’s largest counter-culture chain which has served Canadian cannabis consumers since 2009.
- Growth to 9 corporate owned and 10 franchise locations across British Columbia, Alberta and Nova Scotia.
- Canadian Franchise Association approved franchise program in place to drive rapid nationwide store expansion.
Aurora has made a $10.0 million investment in High Tide by way of a brokered private placement. The debentures will bear interest at a rate of 8.5% per annum from the closing date of the final tranche of the Offering, payable on the last business day of each calendar quarter. The Debentures are convertible to common shares of High Tide at a post-split price of $0.75 per common share and will mature two years from the closing date of the Offering. The Debentures are subject to a statutory hold period that extends four months and one day from the closing date of the Offering.