WeedMD Inc., a federally-licensed producer and distributor of medical-grade cannabis, has completed the outdoor planting of more than 20,000 fully-rooted cannabis plants at its Strathroy, Ontario property. WeedMD is one of the first licensed producers in Canada to commence outdoor grow operations with its first harvest expected in October 2019.
“With our outdoor grow now fully operational, WeedMD has one of the most compelling and low-cost cultivation platforms in Canada,” said Keith Merker, CEO, WeedMD. “Planting a variety of proprietary cannabis strains outdoors in June positions the Company to meet and exceed our production forecasts. WeedMD recently launched its adult-use brand Color Cannabis™, and with the introduction of new cannabis extract products in late 2019, we expect to have one of the largest, low-cost supplies of biomass to position ourselves vertically for the emerging extract market.”
WeedMD Outdoor Cultivation:
- Health Canada licence amendment secured on May 31, 2019
- Phase I includes the first 27 of 100 available acres at its Strathroy property
- Construction of fencing, security, irrigation and other required infrastructure completed on time and within a fully-funded $2 million budget
- 73 additional acres of production planned for Phase II in 2020 on the existing property
- Municipal approval secured
- Operational synergies with outdoor cultivation directly adjacent to WeedMD’s existing propagation operations within its licenced greenhouse facility
- All infrastructure and staffing resources exist onsite with a proven team dedicated and experienced in outdoor grow
- WeedMD’s cultivation team brings significant experience growing cannabis outdoors locally
- Selected strains proven to excel outdoors in southwestern Ontario
- Growing from rooted plants allows for higher yields, survival rates and consistency when compared to starting from seed
- Optimized plan with strains grouped with similar cultivation profiles in five planting zones
- Clones were rooted in organic material for over four weeks to reach acclimatization and optimal transplant size
WeedMD also recently announced the transition of its Aylmer, Ontario facility into a cannabis extraction and processing hub. With the large volume of high cannabinoid, low-cost input material that the outdoor harvest is expected to generate, the Company is positioned to process and market significant quantities of extracts and concentrates beginning in Q4 2019.