TerrAscend Corp., a global cannabis company licensed for sales in Canada, the U.S., and the EU, today reported financial results for the third quarter ending September 30, 2019. All figures are reported in Canadian dollars, unless otherwise indicated.
Third Quarter 2019 Financial Highlights
- Third quarter 2019 revenue increased 53% quarter-over-quarter to $26.8 million from $17.6 million in the second quarter of 2019 and compared with $1.8 million in the third quarter of 2018. Revenue growth was driven by higher overall sales in Canada as well as strong sales in the U.S.
- Pro forma revenue1 for the third quarter of 2019 was approximately $44 million.
- Gross profit for the third quarter of 2019 was $7.0 million, compared with $2.2 million in the second quarter of 2019 and ($0.6) million in the third quarter of 2018.
- Adjusted EBITDA1 for the third quarter of 2019 was ($6.5) million, compared with ($8.7) million in the second quarter of 2019 and ($6.3) million in the third quarter of 2018.
- As of September 30, 2019, the Company held $6.9 million in cash and cash equivalents. Subsequent to quarter end, the Company closed on two tranches of the previously announced non-brokered private placement for total proceeds of approximately $18.0 million.
Pro forma revenue, EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA are Non-IFRS measures. Please see discussion and reconciliation of Non-IFRS measures below.
“Two weeks into my new role, I continue to be impressed with TerrAscend’s unique assets and competitive positioning in both the United States and Canada,” said Jason Ackerman, TerrAscend’s Executive Chairman. “I see even greater potential for our business as we sharpen our focus on the U.S., where we are extremely well positioned to become a leader in the markets we serve. My top priority now is to operationalize the company’s strategy while driving continued growth, improving profitability and fortifying our financial strength.”
Added Michael Nashat, CEO of TerrAscend, “We are on track to deliver a year of tremendous progress for the overall company both operationally and financially. This has been especially evident in recent months, where we expanded our portfolio of U.S. assets with the addition of Ilera Healthcare in Pennsylvania, booked our first international shipment of medical cannabis to Europe, and received Health Canada approvals which tripled the licensed space at our Mississauga facility enabling future sales of new product formats and extracts for the Canadian Cannabis 2.0 market. Meanwhile, we have grown total sales in the third quarter to nearly $27 million from less than $2 million a year ago with improving margins.”
“Looking ahead, we anticipate significantly higher revenue and continued improvement in Adjusted EBITDA margin in the fourth quarter, and further improvement on both fronts next year. While the current Canadian environment has presented challenges for the industry as a whole, the future is bright for TerrAscend and our ability to build long-term shareholder value.”
For more information click here.