CannTrust Holdings Inc. announced the national launch of its social responsibility platform: We Care. The platform focuses the Company’s efforts in four key areas: Lifting People out of Poverty; Health and Wellness; Safe Consumption; and Sustainability.
As announced at the Lift & Co. Cannabis Business Conference, CannTrust will partner with charities and non-profit organizations to incite meaningful, positive social change nationally and in Niagara, Ontario, home of its flagship Perpetual Harvest Greenhouse facility. Initial partnerships will include the Canadian Alliance to End Homelessness, Niagara-based community garden organization, Project SHARE, and Hospice Niagara, with additional announcements to follow.
“Operating our business with the environment and positive social impact in mind is incredibly important to all of us at CannTrust. We are very proud that We Care will continue to expand the socially responsible approach that is the foundation of our company,” said Peter Aceto, Chief Executive Officer of CannTrust. “We Care recognizes and extends the work, dedication and commitment to giving back that CannTrust employees already live every day.”
To help inform the focus areas of We Care, CannTrust conducted extensive research* with employees, stakeholders and Canadians in general to better understand the issues that matter most to them. Our research showed:
- The top three areas of concern for both Canadians and CannTrust employees are: Homelessness, Poverty Alleviation, and Environmental Sustainability;
- 94 percent of Canadians believe that cannabis companies should support safe cannabis consumption;
- Over 90 percent of those surveyed say cannabis companies should support medical research; and
- 86 percent of Canadians believe cannabis companies should support more than one cause.
As part of the launch, CannTrust announced the first set of We Care partnerships:
- Canadian Alliance to End Homelessness (CAEH) – The CAEH is leading a national movement to eradicate homelessness in Canada. Under the CannTrust We Care “Lifting People out of Poverty” pillar, the Company is donating $50,000 to support the non-profit organization’s flagship “Built for Zero” campaign. This initiative is working with 38 communities across the country to end chronic homelessness through a data-driven and housing-first approach.
- Project SHARE – Based in Niagara Falls, this organization provides emergency food to more than 126 families per day who are living below the poverty line. Project SHARE operates three Community & Allotment Gardens that grow 4,000 pounds of organic produce for local food banks, ensuring families have access to nutritious food. As experts in cultivation, CannTrust will donate knowledge, volunteer hours and $25,000 to support the Project SHARE 2019 community garden season. This will provide all materials and much needed funding for the charitable gardens this year.
- Hospice Niagara – A non-profit organization that helps people and families live well from diagnosis through to end-of-life care and bereavement. They provide compassionate, comforting and supportive hospice palliative care for people in the Niagara region. Hospice Niagara’s programs and services are offered at no cost to clients. As part of its dedication to Health and Wellness, CannTrust We Care will invest $25,000 annually for three years for a music therapy program that will help people during one of the most difficult times in their life.
We Care is designed as a dynamic platform and CannTrust will announce additional programs and partnerships in the coming weeks, months and years. Some upcoming initiatives include:
- Good Conversations: A resource developed with third-party experts that will offer educational information to help parents, primary caregivers and educators have effective conversations to prevent underage cannabis consumption and foster knowledge-based conversations about cannabis.
- Sustainable Innovation Grant: A competition and grant to encourage the next generation of sustainable cultivation technology and practices. CannTrust already has in-depth knowledge of sustainability and has taken significant strides to implement sustainable practices at its Pelham facility.
Growing from Employee Compassion
We Care began as a guiding philosophy within the award-winning CannTrust Customer Care team as they continuously put patients first. It has become the mantra that every CannTrust employee lives and breathes, and these two powerful words are now the driving force behind the company’s social responsibility platform. As part of its mandate, We Carewill also incorporate employee-led projects and volunteerism headed up by the company’s long-standing, internal “Charity Budz Committee”.